The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, May 23, 2011

Here we go again....

Once again, the teachers, Section 22, are going on strike.   There are massive marches starting all around the city that will converge on the zocalo.  The issues are long standing and complex. but mostly it is politics as usual.  With such actions, there are always "collateral damages," students will not educated, businesses will not be able to function and the streets and roads will come to a standstill.  However, because this is just a part of life here, people will find ways to function... except for the kids.

As a former teacher, yes, I know, in the US, I was responsible for the economic collapse and everything bad that ever happened, however, I was in a private boarding school, non-union, and we did not get paid much and were on call 24/7.  If you were 24 years old, you got paid 24K. That's how it worked. You got paid your age and I was there for 28 years, so not only was I ruining the country, warping America's youth, I was also racking it in!  All I know is that I cannot remember a time I ever abandoned my kids or classes.  Just couldn't do it.  Maybe one of my colleagues or students can jog my memory, but basically if we protested or took collective action, we were gonna end up looking for a new job.  But I digress....

I think the teachers here have used up all their good will.  People are tired and angry.  The new governor has made proposals, but I guess they are not enough.

Here is the story for LAHT
SNTE teachers union members have voted to go on an indefinite strike starting Monday in the southern Mexican state of Oaxaca, a move that affects 1.3 million students, union leaders said.

The decision to go on strike was made Saturday after SNTE Local 22 members decided that state officials had not made satisfactory concessions in negotiations, union leader Azael Santiago Chepi said.

The teachers plan to occupy the main plaza in Oaxaca city, the state capital.

The union is not making any pay demands, focusing instead on educational and social issues, Chepi said.

Teachers want better uniform allowances for students, computers in all of the state’s elementary schools and electricity in all schools, the union leader said. (Read the full story for a little history)
from El Imparcial
Con una marcha masiva, el magisterio oaxaqueño iniciará hoy el paro indefinido de labores en las más de 14 mil escuelas, con lo cual se quedarán sin clases más de un millón 300 mil infantes.
We will see where it goes from here.

No comments: