The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, September 12, 2014

More plumas moments


There is such a sense of community in all that surrounds the danza de pluma in Teotitlan del Valle.  There are many formal presentations, offerings and blessings that occur while the dancers are dancing.  It is after all, a very long dance or series of dances.  Huge baskets of fruit, tlayudas, cases of beer and lots of other things are brought in by one group and offered to another group, probably different sections of the village. Maybe it is the section that has official domain over this particular dance, but really, I don't know and I will have to find out.

But it is the lovely interactions between people that is always present and so refreshing that is so noticeable.  Ahh.... Life is full of such moments. One of the subalternos sharing the moment with his son.
There are two subalternos and each is responsible for the care of either, the dancers or Monteczuma, Malinche and Marina.
"Someday, my son, all of this will be yours."
They bring them water, repair sandals or whatever is needed and are constantly moving, interacting with the crowd, making jokes, but in reality they are very important, as they are subtly exercising control over the entire scene.  Meanwhile,  just drink in the sights.
Armando Vincente Mendoza, one of the Four Kings.
Hmmm....
The great thing is that this is just normal village life in all its glory, just people living their lives.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Christopher I realise I have been silently following your fabulous blog for a little over a year now. I'm reminded of this because of the Danza de la Pluma which you photographed and wrote about last year. You manage to make me feel I am actually there, experiencing the moment although I am so far away in Australia. You are a wonderful observer of people and the society in which they live. Tell me though, there seem to be so few people watching as all the red chairs are mostly empty?

Christopher Stowens said...

Thanks for the kind words. The only reason there were so many empty chairs was that it was early in the day. These are long events and most of the villagers arrive later in the day, around 5 PM. Plus, the only danza tourists seem to attend is the one in July. The others, the ones in Sept, Oct, Dec, are mostly viewed by villagers and a few lucky gringos, me included. I always enjoy being one of the very few gringos in the house.

Unknown said...

Thanks Christopher. I know what you mean about being one of the few gringos in the house. It's something special and you want to find out more.