The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Ladies Who (make me) Lunch

Wednesday is Market Day in Etla and I am pretty much always there.  I go other days of the week, but miercoles is when the place is really happening, the street crowded with vendors and fresh food in abundance.  I buy from these ladies each week and I did much sampling and tasting before becoming a loyal customer.  They know me and treat me so well, but there is always a fair amount of ribbing and joking when I show up.  For a while, the other ladies would say, "Why not buy from me?"  but now they say, "Oh, watch out, here comes your boyfriend."  At any rate, my life is blessed to have them in it.  On top of that, I am kinda of food snob.  I want good food.... at a good price.  And trust me, these ladies are really good at what they do.  You have no idea how good it all tastes.
Doña Melisa and her nice delicious, fat tamales.  Her mole is excellent and her rajas can't be beat.  At least three days each week, I eat and thoroughly enjoy her cooking.
I get my chile rellenos from Doña Juana.  They are pasillas filled with chicken, raisins, tomato, onion, lots of good stuff.   They at the bottom of the shot beneath all that other delicious and tempting food.
Doña Vicki is the cheese lady in a village known for its cheeses.  She does an incredible business and is there everyday, unlike the others who are only there on Wednesdays.  She also has mole, honey, salsa, chapulines, fresh butter, etc.
What would I do without them?  Oh, Doña Rosa, my produce lady is ill, so send her some good wishes.  Eat wisely, my friends

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these tips but I think I will try your restaurant. I am very intrigued at the generosity of the owners who would "wisk" you and your friends off for complimentary birthday dinner and cake. You must be sending their children to the University or tell me the secret?