The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, October 14, 2012

More art and artists....

The work continues photographing some of Oaxaca's artists.  Again, the most interesting aspect of the adventure is seeing each of them in their studios, their own private spaces.  Obviously, one can tell certain things by just looking around and taking in the ambiance.  However, there are other elements at work, the light, the air, the sounds, the hidden and unseen parts, and above all, the patina, as it might be described.
Angélica Vásquez Cruz lives high atop the mountain overlooking Atzompa and much of the rest of Oaxaca in a spectacular setting.  Her garden is something else.  She is one of Oaxaca's finest ceramic artists and her work can be found around the world. 
She uses clays from various parts of Mexico and even get some from other parts of the world.
Her colors are all produced naturally.
Crispin Vayadares lives in a different part of Aztompa, much further down the mountain, about a low as you can go.  I don't think I could ever find his house again.  He drove out and met us, left his car and then guided back out.  His house and gardens seemed lush and overgrown, but remarkably tranquil, a hidden jewel.
He says his work is inspired by the textile traditions.
Obviously, quite a prolific artist.
I have known Carlomagno Pedro Martínez of San Bartolo Coyotepec for years.  Hands down, a remarkable artist.  He is one of the masters of "barro negro," the black pottery for which Oaxaca is so famous.
 The maestro created this figure from scratch, as if by magic, in about ten minutes.
He has always had a wonderful sense of humor and energy. He is also the director of the Museo Estatal de Arte Popular de Oaxaca (MEAPO) in his hometown
  Ay, pobre Yorick. Yo lo conocía bien.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where would I find the art of Crispin Vayadares?

Joan

Christopher Stowens said...

Did you follow the link? It goes to his Facebook page. I'm sure Mano Magica has some of his work, but you might as well contact him directly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Yes I followed the link but I hate Facebook and didn't give it much of a chance. The info has to be in my face or I lose interest.

This is my opportunity to say to people in general (not you CS), don't use Facebook as your webpage. Get a real webpage.

Joan