The Seven Sorrows (or Dolors) are events in the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary which are a popular devotion and are frequently depicted in art.
It is a common devotion for Catholics to say daily one Our Father and seven Hail Marys for each.
These Seven Sorrows should not be confused with the five Sorrowful Mysteries of the Rosary.
- The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34-35) or the Circumcision of Christ
- The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
- The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43-45)
- Mary Meets Jesus on the Way to Calvary.
- Jesus Dies on the Cross. (John 19:25)
- Mary Receives the Body of Jesus in Her Arms. (Matthew 27:57-59)
- The Body of Jesus Is Placed in the Tomb. (John 19:40-42)