The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Moments make a life..

Life is full of moments and Oaxaca has blessed me with more than my fair share.  Some are sweet and powerful enough to make one's life complete.
While in San Antonino last week, I saw a woman across the cemetery and said, "How is this possible?  I recognize this person, but I don't know anyone here."  She was leaving and stopped to talk to people as she made her way out.  It was obvious from watching her as she moved through the crowd, that she was one of the respected village elders.

Who was she and how could I could I possibly know her?

Then I remembered.  I have seen her and her amazing work at La Noche de Rabanos every year.  I have seen her face many times as I looked at photos over the years.  She is one of my loves, my heroes, my inspirations.   Doña Oaxaqueña.  That's how special Rabanos is and how remarkable her work with dried flowers is.  I think I saw her for the first time in the 90's.
She had left by then, but I took off after her.  Unfortunately, I was in a cemetery overflowing with flowers and people and a mass had just ended.  Getting out was tough.  It was actually pretty comical as I got stuck behind a group of older women, some of whom were nuns.  I hope they will forgive me for knocking them over...  just kidding..... I waited patiently and then when I made it out I saw my friend not too far away.  I caught up with her and tapped her on the shoulder.  She turned.... and in this amazing moment, her face exploded into a smile and a look which were enough reward for a lifetime.

How are these things possible?  Somehow, she knew me and knew how much I loved and respected her.  Rabanos is always so crowded and crazy with thousands of photographers and people talking to her.  But.... look at that smile.
Muchisimas gracias to sister blogger spixl for getting these shots.

1 comment:

SAra said...

your blog is great, I look forward to reading it every day. thanks for making me miss Oaxaca!