The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, October 29, 2010

Two killed in front of Santo Domingo

Just after one o'clock on Friday afternoon, two men where shot and killed directly in front of Santo Domingo on Alcala.  They were shot by two men on a motorcycle who after the killings, escaped.  This is the third in a series of assassinations in the last week.  Here is a link about today's shootings, another, and one to a story by Nancy Davies about the others.  She has written about and covered Oaxaca extensively.  It is a must read.

5 comments:

Joan said...

Thank you for posting this as I just read the breaking news on Imparcial and had more questions about it.

I am shocked this happened right in front of Santo Domingo. At that time of day, there must have been many people present. The assassins are getting brave.

Could you explain the word "porro" that I see in the papers quite often? I understood this to mean something like a gang member but I must be missing something because in this case they are associated with UABJO??

Christopher Stowens said...

I am reading the papers and I can't really make sense of it. I will have to keep digging and ask some people. Whatever it is it ain't good. "Porros" is the word they keep using and I am not sure what it means either. Urban dictionary has many meanings, but they don't make sense in this case. You are right. It could refer to a gang member, but in this context, I dunno. Anyone have the answer?

La Cubanófila said...

Porro-depends on your point of view. I liken the concept to organizations like the SDS back in the 60's and 70's. Paid thugs? Mercenaries? Activists? Gangs? All of the above? Maybe.

Joan said...

This is a new concept for me. From what I have put together, it seems that porros are thugs, bringing to mind Tony Soprano's guys who collected money from various businesses. But the puzzle to me is that they are "stationed" at UABJO, taking money from students, professors and management? I guess I accept that businesses sometimes pay thugs but doing this in an education setting seems very wrong.

The learning curve continues.

Thanks again for your timely posting on this as I really like to keep up on the news of Oaxaca. You wouldn't want to put up a web cam in the Centro, would you? Just kidding.

Anonymous said...

Porros are gang members, but the term always refers to students.