The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Morning walk.


Because the roads are often messed up and traffic can be brutal, I normally park in Jalatlaco and walk to wherever I need to go, even if it is the Abastos which is clear across town.  Oaxaca is such a walkable city and it never fails to educate and entertain.  There is always something to see.
The Museum of Contemporary Art has been under restoration for quite some time and they have changed the hangings hiding the scaffolding on Alcala numerous times.  This time is is shopping bags.
 
Beautiful!
The cathedral on a perfect day.

The countdown clock for the Bicentennial celebration now passed with an added message. Free political prisoners.
 
A wonderful display of the heroes of the revolution in the plaza leading into the zocalo. 
These are "La Corregidora," Josefa Ortiz  de Dominguez and Ignacio Jose de Allende.

And always street art, graffiti and political messages.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying your blog, Chris, as it brings me closer to my home away from home, Oaxaca! I took exactly the same photo of the shopping bags over the scaffolding in August, it is quite unusual. Thanks for bringing a slightly different slant to "my" Oaxaca.