The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Abastos Market

The Abastos is the place to find anything you could possibly want... yes, even that. It is a huge, gritty, sprawling expanse and on Saturdays it doubles in size and density. It can be a little intimidating or overwhelming, but I like it there. In general, it is a no nonsense area. No photos. People get pissed and will let you know about it. It's OK to shoot certain things, but sometimes I just have to shoot blind, from the hip and hope for the best.It has been hot for the last two weeks with another week of the 90's to come. People are laying back and waiting and hoping for the rains. They were early last year. Maybe they are balancing that out this year. The heat does quiet the city down. At times there is almost no traffic and very few on the streets. . People are just not used to it. The temperatures are usually perfect.

However, the Abastos was hoppin' and I had a blast searching for the elusive cactus sellers and anything that looks too good to pass up.

The market may be twenty city blocks and it is filled with stalls and stands or people just hawking their goods in the aisles. The light is filtered by awnings and I have to always watch myself to make sure I don't get decapitated.

I walked the whole perimeter and cut through several times on my quest, but no luck.
The way it works, one buys ones stuff, gets a man with a diablito, or hand cart, and he takes it to an awaiting cab or bus, which is how most people get around. The places is a sea of cabs and buses, crazy driving. Never argue with a bus driver in terms of who has the right of way no matter what they try. They are not to be messed with. I park a few blocks away and walk.
The diablitos are everywhere. It is hard work and they will demand a fair wage if they think you are light. Always ask first.
These three were catching a quick siesta in the shade.It is mango season, all so sweet and inexpensive. I had one of the best I have ever had yesterday. It was perfect, just dissolved in my mouth.These bags are indestructible and lots of fun. So many colors and styles from which to chose.It is a tough market, lots of people working hard to make it. You can see it in people's faces.I like this tryptich.
Eviel is the PRI candidate for governor to replace Ulises. 'Nuf said.Quite the gown, si?Not quite what she had on her mind. She was standing just below.Ceramics stacked for sale?Almost.A quelaquezta dancer with her piña?I am there next Saturday. Join me.

No comments: