The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Finalmente, mi cocina

At long last and right on schedule (like I had one) the work on the kitchen is finished. The last item was a ceiling fan. It was labeled the Five Minute Fan, 'cause that's how long it takes to install. It is to laugh, but no matter. the deed is done. When I look back on the work I started last summer, I had a long detailed list, I can see it was time, effort and money well spent. As in all things, the experience was fraught with challenges, mood swings and a sense that it would never end, but it has and I am happy with the results.
The stone work on the floor and counters is beautiful. The polished rock is so shiney. What a wonderful substantial and solid feel the room has now.
I was my normal neurotic self and paid attention to preparation (it's 90 percent) and then detail.
Luckily, I had the luxury of time to do most of the work myself. Although I was stiff and sore much of the time, with battered hands and paint flecks on my face when I went to the market, I feel a great sense of accomplishment. It just reinforces my belief in incrementalism, little by little, we can make progress. To not be discouraged by the illusion of non-progress - the "I keep working and never seem to make any headway" mindset. Party on, Garth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris-is this the house in Newton? It looks beautiful-I remember being there once. We need a major overhaul in our small kitchen-want some work?!

Christopher Stowens said...

Yes, its the Newton house and I would love to do your kitchen, but you need the real thing. I used Angie's List and found it to be invaluable for cutting through the search process. Kitchens are expensive, duh, but I was surprised as the ways you could find quality and still save money.

sonya melescu said...

WOW!!!! Amazing and beautiful job well done and worth waiting for. It's so different, very clean and elegant, updated to the Here and Now.
I read there was a lot of snow up there. But you'll be out of there soon. On to new adventures.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Chris, and well worth the wait - the granite and stone work is outstanding. The appliances are awesome! Why not put the microwave oven as an under upper cabinet appliance and that would free up the corner by the sliding glass door! Happy spring.
Susan

Christopher Stowens said...

I probably will put the microwave under the cabinets at some point. I just need to live with it a bit. The nice thing is the lighting. Every work surface can be well lit from a couple of sources. Of course, now i want to go and build my Mexican kitchen... in Mexico.