The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Artesanos

Artesanos or artists or craftspeople, whichever you prefer, are a balm for the soul. Just to observe people's creativity and to see the results of genius or just plain old years old doing it or some combination of the two. Yesterday, CraftsBoston opened at the Seaport World trade Center and I went to see the work of an old friend and highly accomplished ceramicist, Irina Okula. Her work is magical and the colors she produces are some of the richest earth tones I've seen. The texture of her bowls is one of silkiness.

It is fun to go to these shows and I guess I approach them like I do museums. Some people breeze through exhibits and others take ten minutes at each piece. And of course, they always are partnered together. I tend to do the former, only stopping at the things that grab me and that's what I did yesterday. This show was chock full of remarkable pieces, mind-blowing in terms of diversity and above all, quality. I was caught by the furniture makers.

Here is Charles Faucher, a master wood turner, who was a real engaging guy. He talked about his process, its evolution and how he got to the point where he is clearly working on the cutting edge of modern woodwork. After hanging so many years with the carvers in Oaxaca, it was a blast to hear this man talk about wood. This ring, which is filled with steel beads for sound, is made from holly, a light wood, and ebony, a heavy, oily wood. I told him he ought to get a Brazilian percussionist to play the thing and make a video of it. A shaker of the highest order, but clearly, he was a woodworker, not a musician. It was great.

These glass pieces really caught my eye. They were radiant, glowing with some inner light and depth. Much more about them at her site, here's Jen Violette.

It is a wonderful show, very inspirational and humbling. Also to observe people's rare and unique talents along bit of their souls. It ain't art without a little investment of one's soul.

And that brings me to the fact that were displays that I completely left me flat. People had put in exactly the same level of effort and expertise and yet , for me, nada.

No comments: