The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, June 20, 2024

A cunning plan for the garden...

Finally, after months of brutal heat and no rain, the rains have returned.  There have been torrential downpours in the city and to the east with downed trees and flooding... but not a drop here. In the last couple of days, there have been light rains and things are waking up.  However, the dry weather took its toll.  I lost lots of plants in the garden and the kitchen gardens are barren.  This is what it looked like last year
... and this is what it looks like now.
So my devious plan is to fill the empty spaces with plants that can thrive when others fail... bugambilias or bougainvilleas.  I am always amazed to see them in full bloom along the roadsides where they get no water of care and they look so beautiful.  Yesterday, I went to my favorite vivero or nursery in nearby San Lorenzo and loaded the car with 11 bugambilias (7 mediums and 4 small) some basil and rosemary and a huge bag of abono or potting soil.  All for $550 pesos or about $30 US.  Everything is in the ground already and it started to rain just as I finished planting.  I have missed working in the garden so much.  Happy to be back with my friends.

No comments: