The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

This is America, too....

I'm still in Boston for a few more days and well, it's been an interesting trip.  Obviously, everyone is talking about the separating of children.  I'm not sure how US citizens realize just how this looks to the rest of the world.  We're in a bubble here, but, in general, people are angry, sickened and depressed about this fiasco.... but hey, I live in Newton, which is a hotbed of compassionate people so obviously, it does not represent the rest of the country.
I hope you have seen Childish Gambino's video, "This is America" and not the sanitized version they show on Mexican TV, which eliminates all the violence and pretty much renders the video mush.  Watch it a few times and do a search for all the images that people miss if they just watch it once.  I'll post it at the end of this post, but, as in all things, there are many sides to America, so I thought I'd post a few images of Boston... gotta "love that dirty water."
I am struck by just how different this place is from Oaxaca.  Like, I don't recall seeing Segway tours in front of Santo Domingo.
And they are in front of..
Which is just down the stairs from your Apple store... all glass and kinda weird to walk on.
Get your motor runnin'...
Or perhaps a more gentle mode of transport...
And Chinatown always calls me..
It all looks pretty good... however...
This is America, too

Which has 284,422,830 views..... The whole world is watching.

No comments: