The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Monday, July 17, 2017

The Guelaguetza in Reyes Etla

It is such a busy time in Oaxaca with so much to do, but something I never miss is the guelaguetza in nearby Reyes Etla with its amazing setting and round dance platform.
It is always such a fun and intimate experience.  People are so happy and friendly.... and the backdrop of the church featured in Nacho Libre....
These dancers outdid themselves today, hours of dancing in the hot sun.
More to come, but it is hard to keep up with all the action.

6 comments:

DStowens said...

No rain today, eh?

Bev in Connecticut said...

I thought they usually have a huge tent over the stage and some rows of seating
we just found out Lila Downs is in town and doing two shows in conjunction with the Guelaguetza!
Will you see one of the shows?

Christopher Stowens said...

We heard there were some political issues within the village powers that be, so it was a much smaller setup and the feria de queso was almost non-existent. Yes, Lila has too concerts, one last night and one next week.

R_Auger said...

Hi Christopher, I'm a follower of your Oaxaca blog and thoroughly enjoy your photos. They admirably capture life in Oaxaca and the surrounding countryside. My wife and I just spent 3 months at the beginning of the year in San Agustín Etla (barrio San Jose) and we plan to return next year. I love that Sanctuary in Reyes Etla - we stumbled upon it quite accidentally while exploring the many mogotes in the fields to the west of the church (an INAH site, I believe) which have not yet been systematically excavated/explored. The sanctuary as you may know is the one featured in the Nacho Libre film.

I look forward to your interesting postings, Cheers, Robert Auger

Oren Lupo said...

Hi Christopher -- I'm also a regular and appreciative follower of your blog, as I've been for a few years now, but this is my first time commenting.

Your talent for photographing the places and faces of Oaxaca is evident in so many of the photos you've posted, but these ones are real standouts. Good on you for sharing your interesting experiences with all of us.

I've visited Oaxaca once two years ago, and I'm eager to come back again. There's a lot of inspiration to do just that from your blog. Cheers!

Oren in Vancouver, Canada

Christopher Stowens said...

Gracias for the kind words and for following the blog. As much as I keep exploring the wonders of Oaxaca, I feel like I have barely scratched the surface... so plenty more to come...