The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, February 5, 2017

It's the little things...

It is the dry season and it's dusty.  So at least once a year... or maybe year and a half.... I manage to get it together and get a shine for my footwear.  Guys shining shoes are everywhere, so I really have no excuse why I let mine get so dusty.  I guess is kinda like the car.  Clean it one day and it's dusty the next.  However, when I do get it together, I always got into the city to the zocalo where there lots of men who are very good at their jobs.  And so it was a couple of days ago.  You can see how they looked as he began.
It was so much fun to watch him work.  He had lots of special tricks and techniques.  His polishes have different consistencies and each had a special use.
This man worked so fastidiously for well over a half hour to transform my dusty dogs into condition better than new.  I have no idea how much it cost, probably 20 pesos, a dollar at today exchange.  I gave him more than that because it was such a good shine and such a pleasure to watch him work.  An artist at his craft.
The sandals were probably more work than simple shoes, but I loved how much effort and pride he put into his work.  This is very typical of the Oaxacan work ethic.  I only mention this for those who have no idea how hard Mexicans work.  Hmmmm... who might that be?

No comments: