The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Got duct tape?

One more thing I love about living here is improvising when things go wrong or get broken.  Rather than run out and hire someone to fix it or run out to get a replacement part, one just wings it.  And of course, the joke is that with duct tape and a paper clip, a Mexican can fix most anything.  This is simply not true at all and I present the following example to back this up.

After driving around a few days,  I got this weird vibe that I should check the engine and, lo and behold, the oil cap was gone.  Who knows what happened, but I bet some idiot was involved... moi.
There should have been oil all over the place, but there wasn't.  Even though I had just driven it to Teotitlan del Valle and back through the city, I was hesitant to jump back in the car to get a replacement.  I looked things up online and they warned of fire and oil damaging belts and such, so I had to come up with a quick fix.  And voila...
See it was not duct tape and a paper clip after all, even though I have used that one plenty of times in the past.  No, it was gaffer's tape and a lid off a wine bottle..... and it worked like a charm.

With the fix in place I was off to try and find a replacement cap.  I drove to the two small places right down the road, both run by middle-aged ladies, but no luck.  Although one of them told me of a place to try not too far away.  On the way, I stopped at Autozone and they had one, but it was way across the city.  The lady's recommendation was just on the other side of the road, so what the heck.  It was a tiny place, a real hole in the wall, and was run by an old lady with a cat in her lap.  She said, "Sure, I've got one," and pulled out a box of various caps.  "Here, this looks right. Try it."  It worked and the adventure ended with me happily handing her $1.25 US.

So there, you see, it isn't always duct tape... well actually, it is.  I should tell you how I fixed my brake lights with tape and a one peso coin years ago and it still works.

No comments: