The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Head in the clouds

It has been a strange week of weather with lots of clouds, cool temperatures and very heavy rains, depending on location.  Here, there have been some nice steady rains into the late evening and my cistern is full, this house having a decent rain collection system that works well.  This is one of the views out the back of the house and this patchwork of fields reaching into the mountains is one of my favorites.
 
I forget how rugged the country is up in and beyond those peaks.  With all the blockades and construction, I thought I would try a road I've always wanted to, the Libramiento Norte, the old free road that goes through the mountains and ends up coming into the city from the north.  I drive by it everyday, but it is in such bad shape, dirt and potholes, I only go to the stores at its beginning.  Here's what it looks like on the map.  Those mountains would be in the top left and the city, the bottom right.
 
Anyway, Viguera had a blockade, so I thought I would see, once and for all, if it was the long scenic back way into the city.  The dirt and rough conditions continued and after driving just a couple of km. I came across this sign, a real first for me.
Needless to say, I turned around and headed back to the house.  My mama didn't raise no total fools....

No comments: