The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Aftermath....

Ain't no sunshine, a rare rainy day, time to venture out to the market in Etla.  It is busy and quiet at the same time.  Things are back to normal, but there is an edge. 
 
I live to the north of the city and the stretch of road between Viguera and Hacienda Blanca was one of the key points of blockades and protests.  It is just before the entrance and exit to the toll road north, so it is always a popular spot for blockades.  However, these were a different sort of thing. 
Every few hundred meters there was evidence of a fiery blockade, a line burned into the asphalt.  I was surprised by the sheer number of them.  Rocks, tires and debris lined the road after a quick cleanup. 
There were several burnt out husks of semis and trucks. 
Even a huge road excavator/scraper they have been using to construct the Metrobus route, a never ending road project, was totally destroyed.  I made it to Etla and back with no problems, but with the rain and all the damage, it was somber.  Then I headed into the city to check out the action and was greeted by this sign of the times.
The city was quiet, but depressed.... or maybe that was just me.  More on that in a bit.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Please keep us informed. Some of us are planning a trip to Oaxaca soon. I hate to think of canceling,, I remember what happened financially when tourists stopped coming 10 years ago. Some folks were just getting back on their feet... It would be great to have your perspective on safety, etc. If you don't mind....