The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Día de la Candelaria,

Today is candlemas or, as it is known here and many other places, el Día de la Candelaria.
From Wikipedia
It is traditional to celebrate the presentation of the Christ child in the temple on February 2. The dressing and adoration of the Jesus and family meals around tamales is a very important tradition.  This festival is closely linked to that of the Epiphany, during which, the tasting of the rosca de reyes (kings cake) will determine who will be responsible for organizing Candlemas. Indeed, the one who finds the muñeco (bean-shaped Christ child) in the cake is named as godfather of the child. It is he who will dress the little God (image of the Christ child in the form of dolls of varying size) on Candlemas with richly decorated clothes. It is then brought to the church to be blessed. The memories of these events are often passed from generation to generation in families.
I went to three different villages to try and find some of the most wonderful action of the year, but all in vain.  I was either too early or too late.  I did notice there was a lot of activity at the corner Niños store.  I'm sure you have one in your area.  I am pretty sure these were last minute orders as many of the niños looked old, but were just in for new outfits,
Here one gets new booties.  I love the little girl giving me the eye.
 
So I did not find el Dia de la Candelaria, but I did find. el Dia Mundial del Lavado de Manos.
Who knew?  So light a candle and wash your hands.  For me, as a gardener, today is halfway between the winter solstice and the vernal equinox.  We are getting there.

No comments: