The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Bull!

I'm living a pretty simple life these days.  Oaxaca really is a wonderful place to live.  It's as full of problems as any place.  However, it is also blessed with so many positive aspects, that one can find a balance here.  I work in the garden and watch the world go by.... and count my blessings that whatever bullshit I spout is only heard by the plants and an occasional goat or two.... and of course, there is this blog.
I add my little bit to the billions of bytes out there.  Still, it is crazy to watch people say or do the most outrageous things and then act surprised that other people notice.... and then it goes viral.  So, knock on wood, I have not achieved that notoriety... yet.
Back before there was the internet, I regularly laid eggs and pissed people off..... I once got a review in the Boston Globe that said I was "too stupid to realize I should have been embarrassed."  But I knew it was bullshit because the same critic said, at a different time, that my music was "better than sex."  Hah.. how would he know?  I mean, he was a music critic.  (Rim shot, please.) 
It was all bull then and it still is, but I like this type of bull much better.  These guys are my neighbors.  The white bird is a constant companion to them.  They have some sort of symbiotic relationship... well, actually, I think the birds get more out of the deal than the bulls, but what do I know?

No comments: