The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Karma - A star isn't born

Yesterday, I was lucky to be part of a promotional video for this year's guelaguetza that the state government is producing.  Somehow, I think I was typecast, kind of a James Bond character.... uh wait, no, I was to pose as a tourist taking pictures.  Umm... yes, I think I can do that... did you clear this with my agent?....
And so it began... there were lots of beautiful dancers, a fine band made of of little kids, the setting was perfect in front of La Soledad, the cathedral, the light was perfect.
The director explained what he wanted.  I was to take pictures of the dancers, the cathedral and then a shot of the two other two "tourists" both of whom had lived in Oaxaca for many years.  Piece-o-cake!
"Action!"  Hmmmm... why is the camera almost directly behind me?  OMG!  Is this my fate?  To finally make the big time and then have it be a high def video of my butt??  It kinda seemed like it.  Oh well, many would say that I showed my best side or that I lived up to my name.  No matter.  It was a blast and I look forward to seeing the final product and if my fine ass I actually makes the cut.  Hmmm... that didn't come out right...
I did fully take advantage of the wonderful opportunity and hey, if I was to act like I was a photographer, I might as well take some pictures.  Little drummer girl.  Love it!!
They had very nice equipment.
Including this very cool drone.
Unfortunately, its GPS signal was immediately blocked by the cathedral's high walls and it crashed into the building.  Oh well, back to the other camera.
Thanks to Shannon for getting me the gig.  I had a total blast and even got paid for making an ass of myself.  I can handle that.  And who knows... once the world takes a gander at my bum.... well, the sky's the limit.
Update:  Here's a shot from spixl of me in the midst of all the action.  Gracias!

No comments: