The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Still in a whirl

Well. it has been one heck of a week.  What can I say?  I am one of those people that needs to have things in their proper places before I can rest and there is always a never-ending list of things to do when one moves...... still, I have made progress..... not without a few setbacks, like the fact that the screen went dead on my main computer and that required making extra backups of the important stuff like all the Oaxacan photos and videos.  Backing up files and washing windows.... it is all a blur.
 Remembering the colors whirling at the recent Guelaguetza in Etla.
Computer crashes are a drag.  I am forced to go back to a much earlier version of Photoshop and find I can still do the important things as easy as ever.
 Joy!
However, there are a few things that one cannot do easily, like isolate the dancer and her skirt.  I'll have to rework this one on a different machine. 
Hmmm.... here's the same shot from a different machine.
I'll post some pics of the new house soon.

1 comment:

Lopez Kilpatrick said...

Thank you. We lived in Oaxaca city from 1997 - 2001, and we still miss it. We have been thinking recently of how to take a year's sabbatical maybe when our son is 12, and move back to Oaxaca for a year. In the mean time I have your blog to remind us of the family (in-laws) and culture and food that we all miss.