The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, June 29, 2013

A tale of two gardens

I wasn't joking in the last post about doing the same thing in different places.  I am always working with plants, no matter where I am.  I can't imagine not working outside.  After a couple of days of grunt work, this place is looking pretty good.  Considering the state of the land in both places before I started, the progress is amazing.  In Newton, I have thirty years of work and more importantly, thirty years of composting all those autumn leaves.  The soil is as rich as rich can be.  And the garden takes care of itself pretty much.  The ground covers and hostas just keep getting better.
I have a few Korean dogwoods that I started from cuttings.   They are all quite large now.  One is probably twenty feet tall and just as wide.
And here in Oaxaca, although only after four years, the soil is finally getting there.  I started with total scrub land and then, tons of abono, manure, compost, sand, soil, mulch and joyous back-breaking work (I do love it) and voila!
The area to the right in the shot above is really miracle.  It was the site of a huge patch of pure ash from the burning of a few years of brush and trees.  It was ugly.  I can't believe how stuff is growing in it.  What's more, most all the flowers, the zinnias, sunflowers, marigolds, cosmos, all reseed themselves.  Plus, there is some good lemongrass and ornamentals in there.   And hojas santas for cooking as well.
These galliardias are almost perfect and they just keep coming.
I need a siesta....

4 comments:

Lani said...

Your gardens are beautiful.

Bev in Ct said...

chris i think your galliardias are gazanias.
your gardens are great.
steve and i also have many flower gardens. lots of work but the rewards are many.hope to see you and shannon in july
Bev in ct

Christopher Stowens said...

Ah, yes, Bev... gazanias. Gracias. Things will be nice and green when you are here.

sonya melescu said...

Your gardens are beautiful. I have a few photos of you gardening...thru the sweat, dirt... you see your.. joy and hope.