The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Flor de Mayo - Plumeria - Frangiapani

With the rains, the work picks up outside.  As I work, I catch wisps of fragrance from the plumeria that I have going in several parts of the property.  It is especially sweet because all were started from cuttings and then pruned to begin to shape them.  I remember buying a handful of cuttings from some young women at the market in Tlacolula.  It was obvious they had just hacked them off some plant that morning. They were very fresh... the cuttings, not the girls, silly.
That was a year or so ago and maybe two thirds of them made it through the rooting process and then the long dry season.  Now.... I had no idea they smelled so good. Their fragrance fills the garden and wafts into the house through open windows.  In another five years, they will be very impressive.
Incidentally, I just picked and ate my first papaya, which I grew from seed.  They are tough to transplant and I don't think this is the right climate for them, but the two year wait was worth it.

2 comments:

sonya melescu said...

Sooooo beautiful....remember the frangiapani on the islands of St. Thomas and St. John. I miss their magnificent aroma.

oaxacakate said...

You finally ate your first own-grown papaya. Big congratulations to you, Chris! Miss you.