The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Calendaria

Today is candelaria, candlemas, the mid-point between the winter solstice and the spring equinox and the day that many families bring their niños Dios from their homes to churches to have them blessed.  It is also a day for tamales, but more on that later.
I went to three nearby villages to see if there were celebrations, but I found only empty churches and this horse happily grazing.
Not to be thwarted on my mission, I headed into the city, which had its normal chaos caused by protests and blockades, only adding to the festivities.

Eventually, I made it to La Soledad where I was lucky to catch a mass.  The church was filled and I stood, watched and listened.  I love how people hold their niños dios so tenderly.
 
A ray of sun blesses this one. 
There was communion and then people filed into the back courtyard for the blessings.

This gentleman sitting and waiting.
 Then getting showered with Holy Water.
The line went surprisingly quickly.
 All shapes and sizes.
 
"Hello.  This is God.  Hang up the phone or I am going to ask the sister to hit you instead of bless you."
 Blessings abounded.  I was lucky to be standing close and was doused several times.
 Love that drop of water.... and her face.
 Afterwards, time to bask in the sun and relax.
 That is the smile of a blessed woman, isn't it?  She was so happy, she radiated.
More in a bit.

1 comment:

Wayne said...

Thanks, Christopher.
Wish I was there, rather than here pushing snow around.