The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Trash and chaos

The teachers effectively shut down the city and much of the state yesterday by erecting a series of road blockades. 
 from El Imparcial
Por más de diez horas, el magisterio oaxaqueño generó ayer un severo caos vial en los principales accesos a la capital, donde la inconformidad y desesperación ciudadana no se hicieron esperar.
Desde las 9 horas, miles de profesores iniciaron bloqueos en distintos tramos carreteros de la ciudad, al considerar insuficientes las propuestas de solución que la federación y el Gobierno estatal dieron a su pliego de demandas.
Think they might have pissed a few people off?  I do believe they might have done so very effectively.

As a former teacher I want to see some merits in their actions and arguments, but I don't.   It appears they are taking the city/state hostage and until their demands are met, everyone will suffer.

I just can't see it any other way.  Their actions are so punitive and inflammatory.  And for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  So tomorrow there is a anti-teacher march.  It may draw thousands.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

Another interesting aspect, there was a story in one of the papers as to how this was the opposite of how oaxaqueños normally act.   The teachers have been lounging around, reading papers, eating, talking, hangin' and chillin' and camping out for close to two weeks now.  They are not working, teaching the kids, and they are still getting paid.  That sticks in a lot of people's craws.  The teachers look lazy and there is one thing oaxaqueños are not and that is lazy.  They are incredibly hard working and just watching the teachers do nothing except disrupt and damage the fabric of life here, really upsets folks.

And then there is the trash. 
This is the pedestrian walkway. 
Then there is the zocalo.  I tried to get shots of all four corners.
Southwest
Southeast
Northwest
I can't believe it, but I am actually starting to think that the police should get involved and.... ugh, I can't believe I even have such thoughts.  This is not good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have my fingers crossed that you take a few pictures tomorrow at the anti-strike march. I hope there is a significant
turn-out.

I could go for a couple of those pineapples.

Joan

Anonymous said...

Many of us are having similar thoughts Chris.
Do not dispair.