The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Continuity

There are more posts to go up about the wedding, but one has to try and stay current.  Today, I ran the photos out to Enrique and Fermina.  There were close to 250 of them and three large prints of some of the nicest ones, ones of the entire family and some closeups just after they left the church.
You will notice a change.  Sure there's a baby, but I'm talkin' about Enrique's mustachio

As for children, they have two.  As far as I understand it, because weddings are such big events and require so much time and expense, they may be years in the making.  So it is not unusual to have children before the actual wedding date.

Getting to Teotitlan del Valle was tough today.  I was about 8k from the turnoff, when traffic crawled to a stop.  I immediately thought accident, because there are quite a few on this road.  However, it turned out to be something entirely different.  The road was packed with people and taxis.  A blockade?  No, but I had no idea what was happening.  Eventually, I made it by, driving in Mexico makes one very patient, and when I got to the road for Teotitlan, I found lots more people waiting by the side of the road and this altar.

Then I remembered.  At the end of the wedding, the padre, who did a wonderful job, mentioned all the accidents on the main road and that there were going to be blessings and ceremonies all along the road all the way to Tacolula.   Lucky me.  Today was the day.

Henry Wangeman of Amate Books commented that in the States the priest would have admonished the flock to drive more slowly and carefully, but here, they blessed the road.  After sharing the photos with the family, I drove back safely on a newly blessed road.

No comments: