The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Friday, February 19, 2010

More and more

After driving around the city yesterday or trying to, more and more I am convinced that the city planners are insane. That, however, would be too kind. I really think it is the lame duck government giving the city the finger one last time, only it will last months. Let's face it, the governor is... well, I am a guest here. His record speaks for itself.

I know there are hundreds or maybe thousands of people working hard to fix the streets and water/sewer lines. I am glad they have jobs. But you cannot get around the city. It was hard enough before, but so many streets are closed off, I don't know how businesses are surviving. I have the patience of a saint after so many years of commuting in Boston. I have a great stereo so I am always happy, but it almost, almost, got to me yesterday.

I did think it was interesting that there were cops directing traffic everywhere, but I think it was because of other action in the city. There was a big event in the stadium above the city and tons of police there. Not that any of the traffic management helped much. I mean, whaddya gonna do if all the streets are closed?

The good news? I get to do it again today. Maybe a different route? Like everyone else is not thinking that, too. As I said, whaddya gonna do if all the streets are closed?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the picture..
You should see some of our streets after a rain.....