The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hmmm

The street art, posters and graffiti are always interesting. I love the two faces, one upside down, on this one. It is how I feel.

A few days ago, someone said to me, "People (expats) who live outside the States are always more worked up about things happening in the country then those of us living inside it." Well, maybe that is true, but lemme tell you...

Just observing the election in Massachusetts, my (former) state, is pretty scary. The banksters testimony? Wow. Just wow. The wars. Watching history be revised about 9/11? And hearing some of the comments made about the earthquake in Haiti. I can't say it makes the US look that appealing to the rest of the world... or maybe that is just me. Yes, I know there has been an outpouring of support. Still, the heartless comments and blatant us/the others attitude that get projected is not good. Oh, and the political scene is a tragicomedy. If only it didn't matter.

Well, I feel so much better after that vent.

Here, I am working on music for a new CD and just doing the best I can to enjoy life and do whatever positive I can.

I am watching and helping (a little) as two locals cut the yard with machetes. It is a large area, maybe two or three acres, that is very overgrown with plants up to six feet tall. They have been at it for three days, hacking away with machetes for ten hours a day. The place looks amazing., like someone came in with a very powerful machine that cut and then vacuumed. All with machetes! They will finish today.

The power of sheer grunt work. That is one of the things I love about this place. I had some shots of two guys unloading a truckload of heavy granite blocks by hand on the camera that went missing. I watched them for over an hour while I was waiting for Godot, I mean, my insurance. They were laughing and having a good time as they unloaded the blocks, which are being used in a reconstruction of the plaza in front of Amate Books. I went over and tried to move one of the blocks later. I am strong like bull, but I could barely move it. Two guys. By hand. Wow. Just wow.

No comments: