The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Solamente mirando - Just watching

I am just biding my time and planning my next move, waiting for Spring to be sprung. Its close.
In the meantime, in between time, I am just watching the world go by, drinking it in. Its a hell of a cocktail. Salud!

My main web source for Oaxacan news disappeared overnight and became something else, a sign of the times, I suppose. There appear to be some seismic cultural shifts taking place. Iowa approves gay marriage and there is only muted response? Texas talks about seceding? Times are a'changin'. I guess that's the way it always is.

And laying low and taking it all in leads to me many conclusions. First, as one who screwed up fairly regularly, I say, "Whew, there but by the Grace of God go I." I don't care if you are the Israeli cop/soldier who just killed a person by shooting them close range with a tear gas canister or the now, but soon to be impeached, federal judge who approved torture or the British woman who has taken the world by storm just by singing, we all reap what we sow. Been there....still sowing and reaping.

It is only one example of how blind/manipulated we can be, but I do wonder why the US media has finally discovered torture. I remember writing The Globe and the NYT everyday for a few weeks in 07, asking why there was no reporting on it when the rest of the world knew. It is just like everything, one must dig to get information from many sources and above all, remember that our currently shaken culture is in big time flux. Newspapers fading, banksters becoming gangsters, Obama shaking hands with Chavez, talking with Latin America, opening up to Cuba, gun sales going through the roof... I am sure everything will work our just fine.

Which bring me to this....

En boca cerrada, no entran moscas.
Flies can't get in a closed mouth.

I am glad that I am learning to keep my mouth shut and discovering that if I do so, miracle of miracles, I don't piss too many people off. Yes, I realize that as COTU (Center of the Universe) my mere existence pisses people off, but really that is only due to their own misconceptions that they, themselves, are COTU. Fools!

Speaking of reaping and sowing, it brings to mind this paragraph from Song Chol

"If you'd like to know whether you were good or evil in a former life, then look at yourself now to see whether you are fortunate or unfortunate. And if you'd like to know whether you will be happy or miserable in your next life, take a close look a what you are doing now."

No comments: