The here and now... and what and why

Complacency is a trap. At least that’s what I was thinking when I up and left the comfort of a Yankee prep school gig, where I taught music, amongst other things, for 28 years. There was also that life long career as a composer, musician and artist.

First, it was a year in St. Thomas, USVI, working as a reporter and shooting photography and then, a year in San Agustin Etla, Oaxaca, Mexico.
Time passed.
More time passed and a year back in the Athens of America followed by a hasty return to Oaxaca where it is all happening.
A couple of years in San Sebastian Etla and now, just down the road in San Pablo Etla. Life is good.

Click on an image to see it larger.
For additional photography please visit my flickr page.
You can find my music on Jango (World & latin - Worldbeat) and at iTunes and most online stores.
¡Soy consciente de todas las tradiciones del Internet!
If you are coming to Oaxaca, please contact me for tours or advice.

Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo
The view from Corazon del Pueblo

The hereafter re me

My photo
Oaxaca, Oaxaca, Mexico
Musician, photographer, videographer, reporter, ex-officio teacher, now attempting to be a world traveler

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

El Norte dos

Si, I am in El Norte. First, I want to get the directories printed and printing in the States is far superior to Mexico, better quality and much cheaper prices. Now there’s a business to set up in Oaxaca. Kinko’s, anyone? I have run out of the La Union directories and will double or triple the last printing run. And the San Martin Tilcajete booklet is just about ready and I am excited to finish and get it down to the city.

First impressions – well, I was with a friend in western Mass and watched him pay for gas with a $100 bill and get no change. I am used to seeing oxen and carts and getting a friendly wave on the road. Here I am blown away that everyone is driving big, new sleek cars. Remember that having a car, any kind of car, even a 1970 VW bug limping along at 20 mph, means you are rich in Oaxaca. That is the dividing line between rich and poor in Oaxaca, a car.

When I arrived it was cold and raining. Two days later it was 98(F) and as humid as an armpit in August. Of course, today it is glorious, clear and comfortable - typical ever-changing New England weather.

I was averse to putting in AC, but broke down and put one in the bedroom only to discover that I had the drainage angle wrong and it leaked through the ceiling directly into the piano. I played every day for 30 or 40 years and was so psyched to come back and just sit and noodle. After waiting two years to play, of course, one of my first stupid actions here is to screw it up. It is drying out, but it needs a technician. Maybe I don’t need those notes anyway.

I am sure there is a lesson there…

I am like a fish out of water. Not bad, because it emphasizes that I need to get back to my peeps in Oaxaca.

No comments: